Types of Penile Implants
There are generally two types of penile implants: inflatable and semi-rigid. The inflatable implant is the most common and offers men many benefits. Here are the advantages of each type of penile implant:
Inflatable Penile Implant Benefits
The two- and three-piece inflatable penile implant offers men a more natural erection than a semi-rigid implant. They are inflated using a pump when an erection is desired and then deflated easily and concealed in the penis. Benefits include:
- Inflated to create an erection, offering more spontaneity.
- Completely concealed in the penis.
- Easy to use.
- The three-piece implant provides a more natural and firmer erection than the two-piece inflatable implant, but both offer men the benefit of controlling when they get an erection.
Semi-Rigid Implant Benefits
With a semi-rigid implant, the rod (implant) is always firm. The implant is used by bending the penis away from the body to create an erection and then bent back inward to conceal the penis.
- Less complex surgical procedure for placement in the penis than inflatable devices.
- Less risk of mechanical failure.
Appointments & Information
*If this is an emergency, please call 911 immediately.
Please provide your email address and phone number and a Chesapeake Urology representative will contact you shortly to assist with your question or issue.
Monday–Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.